Reconstructive surgery is plastic surgery that changes your appearance. There are several reasons why you may like to change your appearance such as an after an injury that left a large scar or because of early or extensive signs of aging. Reconstructive eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty may help improve your vision as well as remove signs of aging that make you look tired and sick. Here are some more benefits of reconstructive eyelid surgery at Syed Ahmad, MD.
The main ways the eyelids cause you to look tired and aged is because as you grow older, your skin loses elastin and keratin which are both important for the skin to remain supple yet firm. As these are lost, the skin can no longer bounce back and it gradually sags and droops. Sometimes the sagging upper eyelid can interfere with your vision. The sagging lower eyelid may result in puffy bags under your eyes that are unattractive. Reconstructive eyelid surgery may remove some of the side effects of aging on your skin and give you a brighter, more youthful appearance. It may also give you a normal look that could enhance your well-being and self-esteem. These qualities will greatly improve your lifestyle and may even make you more productive at work.
Some of the main symptoms that can be treated by eyelid surgery are:
- Folds in the upper eyelids that may impair vision.
- Puffiness in the lower eyelids caused by fatty deposits.
- Under eye bags that are sagging skin and not puffy.
- Lower lids that droop and show white under the iris.
- Fine wrinkles and excess skin of the lower eyelids.
Good candidates for reconstructive eyelid surgery should be non-smokers, as smoking impairs tissue healing. If you smoke, you may want to stop for at least six weeks before and after the surgery. It is a good time to quit when you are starting a new life with a fresher and younger appearance. It is also important for individuals to have no medical condition that impedes tissue healing and no serious eye conditions. Realistic expectations are also essential for a surgical candidate. When you have a consultation with our specialist, you will learn more about the procedure and the realistic expectations for your particular issues.
Reconstructive eyelid surgery is a specialty, and it is important for you to have a surgeon who has years of experience in the exact type of surgery you need. Dr. Ahmed has special training and fellowships in eyelid surgery as well as years of experience. A surgeon who is focused in one area is more likely to be skilled and up to date with the latest techniques, procedures and equipment.
Each person has unique features and issues, which is why no two patients will have exactly the same procedure. For example, we take into consideration the position of your eyebrows and forehead for upper eyelids and your cheeks for lower eyelids. You may require only fat removal, or you may need skin removal with a reformed eyelid crease.
Some common issues that may require eyelid surgery are:
- Eyelid and orbital cancers – there are several different types of cancers that may affect the eye such as eyelid cancer and several types of orbital tumors, of which some are benign and some malignant. A biopsy may be performed or if a biopsy is not possible, surgery may be performed to remove a tumor. Dr. Ahmed may use Mohs surgery to remove a tumor while leaving the healthy surrounding skin untouched. It is important to remove all tumors because even benign tumors may have a negative impact on your vision or appearance.
- Eyelid malposition – eyelid reconstruction surgery is also used to fix eyelid malpositions such as dry eye condition, entropion of the lower eyelid, in which the lower eyelid curves outward and does not touch the eyeball and ptosis or under eyelid drooping. This may happen on one or both eyes.
- Blocked tear ducts – the symptoms for blocked tear ducts are persistent watery, itchy eyes. Dr. Ahmed will treat this with minimally-invasive surgery. Some of the causes of a tear duct becoming blocked are chronic nasal infections, a tumor, an injury or an anatomical defect.
- Eye socket injury – like any other bone, the eye socket may become fractured from an automobile accident, sports injury, a fall and an assault. Some fractures need to be treated and some do not. When Dr. Ahmed examines your eyes, he will determine if treatment is necessary. We recommend you go to the nearest emergency room if you have a fractured eye socket from an injury or fall.
- Reconstructive eye surgery – is often done as a cosmetic procedure to help a person look younger and remove the tired, sad expression that often accompanies sagging eyelids. It is also done for several other conditions such as pterygium or surfer’s eye, a disease that affect people who spend hours outdoors, dry, red eyes or eye lesions that may grow large with time, blur vision and have the same symptoms of cancer.
There are very few physicians in the country who are qualified in ophthalmology as well as cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the eye. This gives Dr. Ahmed an advantage over other cosmetic surgeons because he can take into consideration the eye function along with the surgical procedures needed. In many cases, the nerves and muscles around the eyes need to be considered along with a cosmetic approach.
Along with eyelid surgery, there are other cosmetic procedures that can be done at the same time to enhance your appearance even more.
- Brow lift: some eyebrows are low and heavy and a brow lift can remove the frown lines between the eyebrows and lift the brows so you have a more alert appearance.
- Facial implants: made from silicone, they are useful for enhancing the cheek, jaw and chin. They can give a better proportion of the face that is natural and attractive.
- Mid-face lift: the mid-face is between the lower eyelids and the mouth. This area tends to sag and a mid-face lift restores the firm appearance. This is often combined with eyelid surgery because sagging cheeks can pull down the lower eyelids making the under eye bags even bigger and deepening the line from the nose to the mouth.
As you can see, there are many ways you can benefit from reconstructive eyelid surgery. With the expertise of our specialist and the latest equipment, a wide variety of procedures are available to treat your eye condition. You may look younger and feel better for years to come.
Contact Dr. Ahmed’s office today to schedule your consultation! We are conveniently located in Plano, TX.